Hello friends, Vaishali here on the blog today.
Hope all of you are doing great! Today’s post is very special to me as I am sharing my first craft video tutorial with everyone. I am grateful to each one of you for showering so much love and support to my blog posts and appreciating the content shared in the step wise picture tutorials. Hoping that you will enjoy my video tutorial and find it useful as well.
With the upcoming festive season, candles make a great gifting option. Today’s post is about decoupage on candles and adding interesting effect to them with Little Birdie Embossing Texture Paste.
I have used Embossing Texture Paste to add interest to the otherwise simple decoupaged candle. The project is also my inspiration for the current month’s blog challenge, where you can participate with anything that is made using Little Birdie Embossing Texture Paste.
Some important features of Embossing Texture Paste from Itsy Bitsy’s own brand ‘Little Birdie’.
- Embossing Texture Paste comes in 12 different colours, in wide mouth jars. That makes them easy to use.
- It is a thick paste that can be applied through stencils or directly.
- You can use it with a palette knife or a brush.
- It is a heat embossing texture paste which means that the paste bubbles up to give a frothy/ puffed effect, when exposed to heat, using a heat gun. Hair dryer does not do the job.
- The Embossing Texture Paste can be used on all surfaces like wood, metal, glass, ceramic, paper, fabric, terracotta etc.
- The paste is not washable, however it is water resistant when dry. It adheres to the surface permanently, once heat set. It does not peel off.
- The amount of bubbling / puffing of the paste is proportionate to the thickness of paste applied on the surface and to the amount of heat/ time of heat, it is exposed to. More the thickness of paste applied, bigger will be the texture created and apply less thickness of paste for finer texture. Similarly, more the heat time, more will be the bubbling up and vice versa.
- Once the embossing paste is heat set to create the texture, it dries instantly and can be further coloured with acrylic paints or colour sprays.
- When the embossing texture paste is heat set, the colour of paste lightens to a great extent.
- The embossing paste is used to add textures and give further depth and dimension to the project. It is a great way to create a moss effect or a frosty, snow effect with ease.
A bit about Decoupage on Candle-
There are different ways to work on candles. Here I have decoupaged on a candle, using decoupage napkins. I have used a white, cylindrical pillar candle that was lying with me. You can use candle of any shape and size. Itsy Bitsy has a wide range of candle making supplies for those who like to make their own candles. Have used decoupage napkin named, ‘Herbal Shelf’ , from the store. Many beautiful designs are available in the decoupage craft category of the store. Basically the idea is to set the napkin into the candle, using a heat tool. With the heat tool, the wax melts, allowing the napkin to adhere to the candle. Decoupage glue is not used for this work.
If you do not have a heat tool, you can use a hair dryer or iron for the process. However heat tool makes the process much easier and gives better results.
Tips for using Embossing Texture Paste on Candles-
I have used, Embossing Texture Paste (colour- Berry Bliss ) on candle as this colour goes well with the colours in the decoupage napkin used. The Embossing Texture Paste needs to be used with a little care on the candle, as when the paste is exposed to heat, the candle wax also melts . So do not use the heat tool continuously. Stop or take it away in between. Else, the wax may melt too much, distorting the shape of the candle. Also when using the embossing paste on top edge of candle, the wax melts and drips down on the already decoupaged napkin. Wipe that off immediately!!
A close up image of embossing texture paste effect- it’s great for Christmas Candles.
Wonderful glow when lighted up!!
The beautiful succulents- napkin design- ‘Herbal Shelf’, adds so much depth.
A mention about the heat tool from Itsy Bitsy’s own brand- Little Birdie. The tool is sturdy, easy to use, compatible with India’s power voltage, long lasting. It works great for embossing and drying all mediums. It is a must have for mixed media lovers, card makers and for decoupage work as well.
Here is the link to the video tutorial, explaining the entire process of decoupage on candle along with some added tips and information on how to use decoupage candles.
Hope you enjoy the video and find it informative. Looking forward to your feedback…..waiting with lots of excitement.
Wishing that the glow of candle brightens your space and adds lots of warmth and happiness to your lives.
Do play along the monthly blog challenge. Looking forward to your wonderful creations, using Embossing Texture Paste- a wonderful and easy to use product which you will find at Itsy Bitsy stores and online. It will add so much depth to your projects!!
Happy Crafting till we meet again.
Create, Express, Enjoy !!!
List of materials used-